Spicy Bun-less Burgers
by Scott Bell
These simple burgers are inspired by this habanero-in-protein recipe. Not overly spicy, but very bright and delicious.
- 1lb ground meat (I used veal — lamb or beef or poultry would work)
- 2 habanero peppers
- 2tsp minced garlic
- 1 egg
- Salt & pepper
- Dice the habeneros to your preference for appearance and heat distribution
- Whisk the egg in a large mixing bowl
- Combine the egg with habaneros, minced garlic, and pepper
- Add the ground meat
- Salt — I do this after adding the meat because I’m accustomed to judging the amount visually. Be liberal!
- Using moistened hands, form into 4 evenly-sized balls. Don’t over-work or over-compress.
- Place in a pre-heated skillet at medium heat
- Smash into shape using a spatula, making them thinner than you want them to end up after cooking
- Leave them completely alone until browned on one side, then flip once